Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Abby's brother's update - May 9

Well, the world of "10 and under" prices is now gone forever for Frank. That's right--today he turned 11, and we had a great day.


Frank and I have developed this wonderful tradition of taking his birthday off and just doing things together, and, I've got to tell you, it's one of my favorite days of the year. It usually starts out with breakfast at the "Pancake" restaurant in San Marcos (although this morning he also had a "warm-up" doughnut at home before our brunch out). After that we played a round of putt-putt golf, bowled a game, enjoyed some key-lime pie in celebration of my friend and co-worker, Andy's, birthday, and then shopped at the second-hand sports store and Toys-R-Us. Probably the only thing Frank didn't enjoy about his birthday was the 4-H meeting this evening that went "on and one" (one of Abby's favorite phrases), but even it ended well when I brought out Frank's favorite, cherry o'cream pie, to share at the potluck dinner afterwards.
The birthday gift theme was lacrosse, so thanks to Ebay and Play-It-Again Sports, I think he's going to at least look like a lacrosse player when he goes to camp this summer.

It's been a touching year with Frank in many ways. He has had to deal with a lot of feelings and a lot of disruption and, as I look back, I can truly say that he has matured into a young man of whom I am very proud. Though sometimes he expresses frustration (when I asked him recently why he didn't yet know some aspect of his grammar, he replied, "Mom, I spent all this year doing my schoolwork in hospitals..."), his heart is so good in his desire to help Abby. And, though sometimes Abby is quick to only note the "annoying" behavior typical of younger brothers, I pray that she, too, will see his heart and his desire to be close to his sister.

As for me, I can only say that troubles more clearly reveal your treasures, and I'm glad I have these two...
Love,
Frank and Abby's Mom

3 Comments:

At 11:51 PM , Blogger Greg and Linda and family said...

Happy Birthday Frank. We can't wait to see you and celebrate with you.

 
At 1:42 PM , Blogger Jessie said...

Happy Birthday, Frank! I wish I could be there to celebrate it with you. You'll be awesome at lacrosse - just one more game for you to beat me at! I hope you have a wonderful week and a great time this weekend. You're terrific!

 
At 5:37 PM , Blogger JG said...

Hey Frank. You look like you are ready to play stickball at the Choctaw Indian Fair in July here in Mississippi. I guess you can work that in to your trip to the MS State baseball camp. I don't think they have a stickball camp at any of the universities or collges here.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home