Thursday, May 24, 2007

Abby update - May 24

Tonight Abby would probably tell you--"one school-day down, only three more to go!" (And three more tests, unfortunately...). But, I don't think I'll convince her to tell you anything tonight, as her good friend Hannah is over for the evening (Hannah is the other faithful friend pictured in the series of photos on our April 26 post). Two comrades in chocoholism, they're currently eating brownies and ice cream and watching Left Behind...

Today was an unusual day for me, as Hannah's brother had Frank over for a visit, and I found myself "kidless" for a couple of hours. I headed to the pool--my favorite place to unwind--and had a very poignant encounter. I ran into the obstetrician who shepherded Abby and Frank into this world (she believes in swimming as therapy too), so when she asked me how my kids are, I felt like she would want to know about Abby. What I didn't know was that she lost a 13-year-old daughter who was hit by a car in 1987. We shared a hug, but I struggled again with the injustice of gratitude for our gift of healing versus sorrow for someone else's loss. And yet, God showed his grace once more. She told me how, as parents, they felt the loss so keenly and, of course, wished that more could have been done to save their daughter, but how, as a doctor, she has found peace with a knowledge that each year brings more opportunities to save lives, and that, along the way, those who were lost have a part in the knowledge of healing that now exists. What an incredibly generous perspective, and yet she is on my heart and in my prayers tonight...

With thankfulness for Grace that is sufficient...
Abby's family

3 Comments:

At 10:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read in amazement all you have been through. Thank you so much for keeping us informed of your daily happenings. I read your blog faithfully and am so thankful to God that Abby is doing so well and that she has parents that have such courage and strength to get through the day. Some days I am exhausted just reading about your day. What a great brother Abby has!! What love he shows for her. I know that at the end of the day you must be really tired, but still you make time to write your blog. Thanks again. Virginia Torres - Austwell

 
At 7:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took trying every avenue of possibilities sveral different times but I am glad persistence did pay off and I have finally brought it in this morn. Learning behind stories of your OB helps to show how God works. Its amazing how the weaving continues. Love, Mom

 
At 5:05 PM , Blogger Dwight Mutschler said...

just so glad to read the amazing acievements that abby has done. she continually shows what a loving family and hard work can do. i continue to check periodically up on her as i want to see her wonderful progress.

we now have an aggie graduate too. megan graduated on the 12th and is the process of looking for a job. take care of yourselves. god bless.

mutch

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home