Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Abby update - March 16

Abby worked hard today.

Have I ever shared with you what a source of inspiration she is to me, even aside from her remarkable recovery? Abby has always been a good example for me. She has always made healthier eating choices than I have, she has always sticked to an exercise program better than I have, she's always been on the alert for my bad habits, like biting my nails, she always sees the best in situations and in people (well, except maybe her brother)...

Today it struck me that it is a blessing that she has that element of discipline and attitude. This morning she ran nearly a 1/2 mile during our morning walk. Frank and I were waffling on the decision (well, I was anyway), but Abby took off running. When she got home from school she asked if it was time to practice piano or violin and then sat down immediately to practice. This evening after dinner she sat down and did over an hour's worth of homework. None of those things are as easy for her as they used to be, but she's ready and willing to tackle them.

Lately I've been realizing that we still need to be very purposeful in working toward Abby's recovery--that we need to locate the things that are challenging and not neglect them. Watching her today, I realized that she is still willing to work very hard--we just need the wisdom and the help to guide her in the right way.

Thanks to those of you who are part of that process (Abby was very happy to see friends at the Wimberley Village Library today as she joined the training for the summer junior volunteer program--another good therapy in my view!). Please continue to pray with us for wisdom and insight along this path...

With gratitude,
Abby's family

P.S. Just a quick prayer request for Frank (who has his own fair measure of self-discipline as well...). He received three vaccinations today, which left him not feeling very chipper (kind of "oozey" he said.) Gordon's already nervous that Coach Amy has asked him to fill in as coach for the undefeated Yankees this weekend, so he's really hoping his starting pitcher is not oozey...

1 Comments:

At 11:24 AM , Blogger Jessie said...

I know Frank will be great! We could have used him last night. Unfortunately, the "All-Stars" weren't shining so bright with a 10-0 defeat. It was rather humiliating. Perhaps we were just feeling oozey as well. Better luck to you guys! I miss you SO much! I really hope to see you sometime this summer. Reading your blog is still the highlight of every day.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home