Sunday, September 16, 2007

Linam Family Update - September 16

Well, it's official--both our kids are now ready for summer vacation! It seems the novelty of school has worn off extra-fast this year!

Maybe Abby's attitude has to do with the fact that the end of the third week usually brings the first round of tests, and this year was no exception. She did a lot of studying this week and did fine on tests in math, science, and English. She's putting in a little more time studying this year, but earning good results, so we'll go ahead and spend that little bit of extra time at the kitchen table each evening. The volleyball team also had good results this week. They lost a well-played home game on Monday, but won their game in San Antonio on Thursday. Abby played especially well in that game--coming up with several saves. Again, sports are more work now, but that work is paying off!

Speaking of hard work in sports, Frank worked out with a homeschool junior high basketball team last week. And boy, was it a workout! Those boys ran, with and without basketballs in their hands, for 90 straight minutes. Then Frank decided to run a few more layup drills while he was waiting for me to pick him up! We're not sure if he'll play with the team this year, but we might see about joining practices just for the conditioning. (Wonder if they have a toned-down version for Moms...?). He will also start practice for fall baseball this week, so our sports-crazy son should soon be content with plenty of athletic extra-curricular activities...

As for the parents, we just try to keep up with the kids, but they do their best to show their appreciation. They treated us to a homemade dinner on Friday, and then on Saturday they enjoyed helping us teach an aquatics workshop at a lovely nearby camp (we won't tell you the story about nearly being swept away in the Blanco River...) Today, believe it or not, Gordon and I actually had dinner out together alone, as Abby and Frank were with church friends--it's been a long time since we've done that, and life's too short to not grab hold of those special moments.

So, this week may you have a few minutes to appreciate the ones you love...
Love,
-the Linams

2 Comments:

At 9:50 PM , Blogger Stephen said...

Just wanted to say "Hey!" Glad to hear you all are doing well & not swept away in the Blanco?!?!
I have got to get my pictures posted from last month! I thought I would get to that tonight.

 
At 1:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Abby,
I am proud of you. You are a champion. My name is Craig J. Phillips. I am a traumatic brain injury survivor and a master’s level rehabilitation counselor. I sustained an open skull fracture with right frontal lobe damage and remained in a coma for 3 weeks at the age of 10 in August of 1967. I underwent brain and skull surgery after waking from the coma. Follow-up cognitive and psychosocial testing revealed that I would not be able to succeed beyond high school. In 1967 Neurological Rehabilitation was not available to me, so I had to teach myself how to walk, talk, read, write and speak in complete sentences. I completed high school on time and went on to obtain both my undergraduate and graduate degrees. For an in depth view of my process please read my post, http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com/2007/02/18/my-journey-thus-far/

Through out my lifetime I developed strategies to overcome many obstacles and in so doing I have achieved far beyond all reasonable expectations. On February 6, 2007 at the encouragement of a friend I created Second Chance to Live. Second Chance to Live, which is located at http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com presents topics in such a way to encourage, motivate and empower the reader to live life on life’s terms. I believe our circumstances are not meant to keep us down, but to build us up. As a traumatic brain injury survivor, I speak from my experience, strength and hope. As a professional, I provide information to encourage, motivate and empower both disabled and non-disabled individuals to not give up on their process.

Please encourage your readers to visit Second Chance to Live at http://secondchancetolive.wordpress.com and consider adding Second Chance to Live to your web site as a useful resource.

Thank you for your time and kindness.

Have a simply phenomenal day!


Craig J. Phillips MRC, BA
Second Chance to Live

Our circumstances are not meant to keep us down, but to build us up!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home