Monday, January 22, 2007

Abby update - January 22


Sorry, it's Mom again. I know you all enjoyed hearing from Abby yesterday. We'll definitely do some of that each week, but, at this point in time, it still takes her a little while to do the composing and typing. I'm still constantly amazed at what's in her memory, however--her fingers still remember the location of all the keys on the keyboard (as well as all the keys on the piano--her practice this evening was great!).

Abby had a check-up with Dr. Leonard, her rehab doctor at Warm Springs, today, and we had a great time going through the halls, visiting all the staff we could find. We also enjoyed having lunch with her three primary therapists, and, by the way, Marissa, Becky, and Kim, she does still remember your names (with a little prompting--we won't tell you what memorable features we mention for each of you--ha! ha!).

Gordon and I were both struck with the same feeling today--that when we first anticipated going to Warm Springs Rehab Hospital it was with uncertain feelings--it seemed like we were taking our daughter to an "institution." When we look at it now we see it as a place of so much warmth and caring and healing and good memories as a family. It's definitely the caring staff that define Warm Springs (and not that depressing color scheme!!).

Finally, I just thought that in closing, I need to tell you about one of those little improvements that just almost slips by unnoticed. Remember when I told you about sending Abby into the bathroom four times to change into her pajamas? This evening she told me that she was going to get ready for bed, and, the next thing I know she showed up with her PJs on, her teeth brushed, and her faced washed. The really hilarious thing was she opened up her mouth wide and breathed into my face before I asked anything--she decided that she'd beat me to the inevitable question...some days she really makes me laugh...

May you find the laughter in your days as well,
Abby's family

P.S. Just thought I'd add this photo, as Paquita came home today after visiting the Volinskys during our time away and transition home. Paquita, who is usually notoriously obnoxious to Abby, seemed really glad to see her (and us) again!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home