Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Abby update - November 7

 
I am having an amazing experience right now.  Well, first, I have a very great praise to report:  We found out today that we can use the computers at the UT Health Science Center library just around the corner from Warm Springs, so I've really enjoyed reading emails from some of you at my leisure.  An added beneift is that, like most colleges, this place is open really late most nights!  Thanks to the folks (my cousin and sister-in-law) who helped me figure this out.
 
But the really neat experience is that I've just posted a map from Frappr on Abby's webpage.  (Another friend turned me on to this idea, as it lets us all view the locations from which people are logging in to read the blog.  Honestly, I'm not really sure how it works for you, the reader, but my hope is that you will be able to pause and enter the locations from which you're reading the blog.)  As I'm watching and working with the site, I'm seeing people log in right now from several cities around the country.  Wow--you're all checking on Abby right now--this is really overwhelming...Anyway, please check the map when you log on and do whatever it asks you to do to identify where you are.  Then, I hope we can all feel overwhelmed at the outpouring of love and prayer.
 
But, I suppose you're checking in to read how Abby's doing, so I'd better get on with that news.  Today was a very touching day with Abby.  For the first time, I felt as if I knew that she was really comprehending nearly everything we were saying to her.  Though she still is unable to formulate specific responses to us, it was as if we could read the whole gamut of emotions she is experiencing.  There were several times today she really, really laughed (in her face and body, but not yet in her voice) in direct response to things we or others were doing.  She cried when physical therapy was hard, she was angry during some parts, and she really seemed to listen as our very special speech therapist explained to her that we know she's trying to communicate, and that one day her body will cooperate with her in that effort.
 
I was so impressed with Abby's determination today too.  Yesterday the therapists were surprised to find that she seemed to want to walk when they had her supported in standing, and today she probably walked about 30 yards total (in three efforts with much, much support).  It was heart-breaking and heart-warming to watch.  Heart-breaking because her body is still so very uncooperative, and in her face and sounds the effort is obviously agonizingly difficult.  Heart-warming because she has such determination and drive somewhere within her body and soul to even want to place one foot in front of the other.
 
May God give us all such courage and determination...and the friends to hold us up...
 
In His love,
the Linams


Sponsored Link

Free Uniden 5.8GHz Phone System with Packet8 Internet Phone Service

2 Comments:

At 12:19 AM , Blogger Greg and Linda and family said...

I can't seem to add my city or at least I can't tell that it has worked. I'll keep trying. I can't wait to visit Abby. Maybe on my trip home from AZ I can take the horses by and Abby can see them. I won't have Cheyenne but I will have Holliday and Kanuk. So Abby keep putting up with all that therapy so you are up to seeing horses.

 
At 12:48 AM , Blogger Greg and Linda and family said...

OK I was finally able to leave my mark. We miss you Abby. People from all over the world are praying for you. God must have BIG plans for you. I can't wait to see what they are.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home