Friday, November 03, 2006

Abby update November 3

Today Abby again got to eat, drink, and be merry (for the most part). She was alert and enthusiastic during meals and then actually joined us in another laugh when she kicked really hard in therapy and knocked her occupational therapist off her chair! Her attitude wasn't always so merry during therapy, however. At one point the OT approached her resistant arm (the one on the side with the collarbone fracture) and Abby's face immediately turned very red and angry. She definitely knew who she was and anticipated what was coming up. I have decided that therapists have to possess brilliant minds, compassionate hearts, and very thick skins...

Abby also got to spend a little time outside today visiting with our dogs. I so desperately wish that she could respond to the dogs, but she just isn't able to yet. Still, I think she knows who they are and is happy to see them. It did look like she smiled when Arby jumped up in her lap and licked her on the lips (dog germs--who cares?).

Thanks to those of you who have posted comments to the blog. I still haven't worked out a convenient way to do email access (I'll probably just plan to take an afternoon off occasionally and go to a library), but I do enjoy reading the blog comments (even those that persistently promote the virtues of pureed turnip greens...you know who you are!!). A couple of you have shared how this whole experience has brought people closer together and people closer to God, and I can testify that it's true. You know, Abby is the one in our family that always wants to pull the family together (usually for "Family Fun Night!"), and Gordon noted one afternoon in Austin when the waiting room was full of people supporting and encouraging us and each other that Abby is still pulling people together. We hope that's true for you. And we pray that Abby will one day again purposefully do that for all of us with her own special spirit...

Keep praying...
Abby's family

4 Comments:

At 5:20 AM , Blogger Jessie said...

Have been gone for 3 days and ran to the computer as soon as I got back. I love and miss you guys tons. I am so proud of Abby and all that she is accomplishing. I cannot wait to come back and see it all with my own eyes! Take care of yourselves... still thinking about you and praying for you constantly. Miss you so muh,

Jessie

 
At 7:13 AM , Blogger Greg Johnson said...

Well, it great to hear she is responding so well, and even not so well to her therapy. And I thank you Sis for me and the rest of the therapy field, (I think, wink, wink). We do have to build up some toughness so when people say "it hurts" , "I don't want to do that", or "I hate you", we say "that's ok, this is what is going to get you free and out of here." Well, Abby we to want to be able to see a smile on your face when we walk in the room.
Love, the Johnsons

 
At 9:46 PM , Blogger Grace said...

I'm glad things are progressing. Abby's accident has also brought the class together. They pray for her everyday and if I don't lead the prayer in homeroom, almost everyone in the class will pray for her before we are through. It is really something to see the support they have for her!

Claudia Doncov

 
At 7:57 PM , Blogger Stephen said...

Glad to hear Abby is progressing so well, flexing her muscles, visiting with the dogs, and laughing!

Stephen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home