Thursday, April 12, 2007

Abby update - April 12

Today was a day of respite and renewal. Abby had appointments with her rehab doctor and neuropsychologist at Warm Springs this afternoon, so we just decided to take the morning off from work and school as well and enjoy the day together.

Abby, Frank and I headed down to Brackenridge Park and the San Antonio Zoo together for the first time in a long time. When they were youngsters we always enjoyed picnicking there along the river and a walk through the zoo, but the last time we were there it was just me and Frank trying to enjoy a picnic together while Abby was in Warm Springs, still unable to respond. The weather that day was so cold and dreary and so was my spirit.

Today there was warmth and sun again. Abby packed a picnic lunch for all of us, and, after enjoying it, we headed to the zoo. It was the treasure I had hoped. There was a lot of construction going on at the zoo, but Abby kept us enthused with her appreciation for everything. I think our favorite part was an aviary where you could feed nectar to lorikeets. Seeing all the bright little lories all around brought back great memories of our trip to Australia. (So did the lazy 'roos in the paddock next to it...)

Our appointments with the doctors went well too. I went in with lots and lots of notes, hoping that they would help us sort through these school decisions, and came out with a real sense of peace. Both doctors independently said that they thought two different school settings and regimes were too much to place on Abby right now. They both suggested that we enroll her at Hill Country (her original school) as her primary school and that I work with her for a few hours at home each day on subjects where she needs more guidance (they had great faith in me--perhaps more than I did...). Interestingly, this option was also Abby's first choice. I think I've been trying too hard to accept everyone's offer of help, to utilize the best of everything available to us, but now I can see that perhaps that wasn't the best approach for Abby. What she needs most is a familiar and comfortable routine, surrounded by friends, with a devoted family ready to help her through the hard parts. Did I hear anyone say, "Duh?"

And, once again, Dr. Leonard left us with inspiration during her fast-paced visit (remember the day she shot over her shoulder "She's in there, I know it..."?). Today she was telling us about her most recent visit with Priscilla in El Paso. Priscilla is now able to stand and walk a few steps! (Rosa has had to have an even greater measure of patience than was granted to us). Anyway, Dr. Leonard said that Abby and Priscilla were her two milagras, her two miracles.

A miraculous gift from God to praying doctors, families, and friends...
Abby

P.S. I'll post some pictures of today's outing on tomorrow's blog. Right now my camera is with Gordon, Frank and Frank's friend at the Newsboys concert in San Antonio, and I'm not waiting for them to get home...!

1 Comments:

At 5:08 PM , Blogger JG said...

Cousin JG says "duh." I never could figure out y'alls school system.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home