Saturday, March 24, 2007

Abby update - March 23

Today was a wonderful day, full of special events and ordinary events that just make life special. I suppose I’ll just tell the story chronologically, because it’s too late to think of a more creative way to wind it together…

First, this morning Abby was able for the first time to attend a regular violin lesson. She had joined Paula’s students for some group practice, but this was her first time back in her old lesson slot. It was just such a good feeling to once again be sitting, listening, taking notes on things to practice…and Paula has such a good perception of Abby’s motor difficulties and how to let violin help therapy and therapy help violin…

After the lesson we followed an old tradition and had breakfast at the Wimberley doughnut shop before dropping by the village library. It was good again to be there and for Abby to see several of the staff with whom she worked last summer.

At home we did chores and baked cookies, but took time for a walk. Everywhere we looked it was spring—bluebonnets and verbenas blooming and monarchs and swallowtail butterflies flitting, but the best part was when Frank said, “Look at all those birds!” We looked up to see about 200 white pelicans swirling and soaring, trying to get up high and head north. And I was glad that I had the chance to share such magic with my two kids again…

But, the wonderful day wasn’t over. Several weeks ago we bought tickets to the Royal Lipizzan Stallion show for Abby as an early birthday present, so she and I picked up her friend Hannah and headed to downtown Austin. The horses were as amazing as I remembered when I was 12, and the girls really enjoyed themselves. (Abby has read and re-read Marguerite Henry’s book about the Lipizzans.)

Having realized that the show was just across the street from Children’s Hospital of Austin, we brought some of those cookies with us and called to see if we could slip in and see some of the night shift nurses. They were really happy to see Abby (and her cookies), and we were glad to be able to say thank you to some of the nurses (and one of the doctors, even) that saw us through some very long nights there.

Then, some ice cream at Marble Slab and home finally to blog, to bed, and to pack for an overnight trip to College Station tomorrow. We’ll take in an Aggie softball game (they are great this year!) and visit with my friend Ruth—we’ll post an update when we get home on Sunday night. Hopefully this long post will keep you satiated until then! :-)

2 Comments:

At 1:21 AM , Blogger Greg and Linda and family said...

Lipizzans, Pelicans and Marble slab icecream all in a day following music! THAT is life in its fullest! I am very very jealous even though I am thrilled that Abby got to experience such a neat day. I spent the day having a "discussion" with Cheyenne about the rules of the corral. She really thinks she doesn't have to obey the rules if there is no grain involved and she thinks that it is her job to open the grain sack in the back of the truck for me. She is amazingly obedient once she realizes the other horses are getting their grain and she is missing out ; ) She looks really good Abby, She definitely seems to be enjoying life on pasture.

 
At 5:25 PM , Blogger Jessie said...

I remember when I was about 12 and my Aunt Jo took me to see the Lipizzan Stallions - what fun! I'm so glad that you get to see them, as well. I love you guys and miss you terribly. Can't wait until I get to see you sometime this summer. Have fun at the game!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home