Monday, March 19, 2007

Abby update - March 19


Today was the day--the answer to so many prayers--Abby was back at school, sitting at her desk in the junior high classroom of Hill Country Christian School!

I think the girl was a little bit excited about the day. Before daylight she was in our room--telling us she just couldn't sleep any more. I had planned a leisurely morning, with thoughts of arriving a few minutes before her first formal class--life science at 11 a.m.--but she must have asked me a half-dozen times how long before we would leave for school.

When we arrived at her class I spent a few minutes talking with her teacher. When I looked over at Abby she was surrounded by a group of friends, helping her unpack her things and welcoming her back. Though the mother in me could barely tear myself away, she was ready to get to work right after her teacher handed her her workbooks, so I slipped out (to hide in the teachers' lounge--just couldn't really leave!).

She had a good, though tiring, day. She seemed to do really well on her assignments and was very excited about her life science class. She was really glad to see her volleyball coaches, as they were to see her. Some things were still hard, however--especially in volleyball, and, during the difficult spiking drill, I could see the tears of frustration in her eyes. Abby has been so brave through everything, but I can't begin to imagine what it feels like for a young woman her age, who six months ago was rapidly developing strong skills in this sport, to find that her body now has such difficulty with the basics. These are things that a mother cannot fix for her, though I wish I could take it all upon myself instead. All I can say is that I'm glad to find her surrounded by a loving, supportive group of friends and mentors who cheered her every success.

And I'm glad that she's surrounded by a circle of prayer warriors. Thank you for holding her up...

Love,
Abby's mom

2 Comments:

At 10:48 PM , Blogger Stephen said...

WOW, Abby, glad to hear you had a great day back in school today! Remember during the trials that the must important thing is the inner character that is being developed in you. God is causing everything to work for His ultimate purpose of us being formed in the image of Christ!
love, uncle Stephen

 
At 7:58 AM , Blogger Greg Johnson said...

Sounded like a great day abby. as far as the V-ball thing, it could be a johnson thing also, your Uncle Greg was quite clumsy, but I kept trying and still had fun doing it, I know you will also. The skills will come, and you will even be better for it in the end.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home