Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Abby update - November 28

Today was one of those definite "highs" on this ride we're taking. Abby had a great day. She walked over 300' with her walker in physical therapy (although the PT would prefer that she not "tip-toe" the whole way--her achilles tendons are still just really tight...). She sat unassisted in OT for over five minutes (perhaps it was the motivation of having a softball glove on her hand and playing toss that helped!). But the real break-through was in Speech Therapy. Abby found her voice! The therapist got her to voice the "mmmm" sound, and the next thing we knew she was saying Arby, Mom, Dad, Frank, Marissa, Kim, Becky (the therapists all had to have their names included!)..Marissa and I quickly loaded her in her chair and ran all over the hospital--up to her room (she said a quick "Hi" to Frank), through all the sitting areas, past the nurses' station, and through the cafeteria looking for Gordon, all the time touching Abby's throat and making her practice over and over again. Finally we found Gordon sitting outside talking with some work colleagues, and Abby said the words that Gordon's been waiting eight weeks to hear: "Hi Dad." It was a sweet moment.

It's been a fun afternoon, letting Abby say "hi" to all the therapists and nurses who have helped her these five weeks (some "hi's" some out better than others--I'm sure we're still going to have to work to reinforce these sensations), and Abby's whispered several things to me throughout the evening, but the other most touching moment came when Priscilla's mom, Rosa, heard Abby speak. Tears just flowed from her eyes, and she hugged and hugged Abby. Rosa is so genuinely happy for Abby, and Abby is giving her such genuine hope. Please keep praying for Priscilla and Rosa--I want all their joy to be restored as well.

Finally, I noticed that my computer did not pull up my post from November 27 on the blogsite (rather frustrating, since I was at the library creating that post at about 11:00 p.m.), so I apologize if the update did not show up for you. I'll try to recover that update from emails and re-post it, but rest assured, though Monday was a nice day, Tuesday had the big breakthrough news, so you're reading the BIG one.

Trusting in God that more BIG ones are on their way...
Lee Ann & Gordon, Abby & Frank

WHO IS ABBY? - page 3
Abby’s an athlete. Compared to a lot of kids these days, it took her awhile to discover that in herself. She never was interested in trying any sports until, at age 8, she wanted to sign up for (mostly) boys coach-pitch baseball. With encouraging coaches and fun teammates she was hooked and the rest is Wimberley Little League history. After four years in Little League and a couple years on the High Voltage select fastpitch softball team, she’s become a good catcher and utility player and definitely holds her own at the plate. She’s added volleyball and basketball to her first love and was the leading server (by Mom’s count anyway) in a Hill Country Christian School junior high volleyball game on the night of the accident. The interesting thing is that, despite her natural abilities, Abby’s not super-competitive. I think she mostly loves team sports for the camaraderie and fun of playing together as a team. If she ever takes up tennis, I’m sure it will be as a doubles player. She doesn’t really want Center Court all to herself…it wouldn’t be as fun!

7 Comments:

At 10:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am Linda's Aunt. I am so thankful to hear about Abby's progress. We have been praying for her regularly. Our church also prays for her. It just brought tears to my eyes to read about her saying "hi, Dad". God is good!

 
At 10:23 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hallelujah and "Amen". Way to go Abby! I wanted to shout when I read tonight's entry.

Add prayers from Jonesboro, AR and Edgemont, AR to your list.

We love you all; you continue to be in our prayers.

Aleta

 
At 5:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ABBY!!! We've been waiting to hear your voice again. I did shout out to Scott when I read this morning and Tyler and Taylor have never gotten up and out of bed so easily!! We are all SO VERY happy. Prayers are being answered!! We love you~

 
At 7:47 AM , Blogger Greg Johnson said...

How sweet it is, Praise the Lord. Abby we are so glad you are coming back to us, with such strength and veracity. I know it is hard and you probably wish it was all over. But I also know by the way you act you are building up such a strong faith, and patience in the Lord, that he is going to do great things with this time in your life.
Keep working hard and keep those miracles coming.

 
At 8:56 AM , Blogger Greg and Linda and family said...

What an exciting moment in this recovery phase! I am so excited I want to run and jump for joy right here on my street. Abby is a great inspiration to many and it sounds like she is already helping others by giving hope in their own recoveries. You are doing great Abby and soon you'll be going horseback riding with me!

 
At 5:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so exciting to hear that abby is doing so well.
i know that her class at school was so excited that they decided to decorate the christmas tree. everyone in my class is always so eager to hear more. it's cool to see how everyone is so attentive when they hear her name,they just ask question after question and get super excited w/ each answer

 
At 4:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the fact that I could not be there to hear Abby say those words on my birthday. To me that was a birthday miracle. For those that do not know who I am, I am Abby's and Frank's long time friend and 1st babysitter. I have a close connection to both of them, and this made my birthday special. I could not be with Abby due to being ill, but it brought great joy to my heart to know that she said those words. I can't wait to hear her say my name amber or the nickname that Frank gave me when he was little Ambie. Remember Abby, God must have big plans for you! Keep at it, and I will see you soon.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home