Friday, October 20, 2006

Abby update - October 20

To our good friends all over...
 
Abby's sleeping soundly right now, and rightfully so--she's had another busy day.  Today Gordon and I helped to sit her up in the therapy chair, and our wonderfully fun nurse, Debbie, took her for a spin around the ICU unit!  It was her first time out of the room (well, except for all those awful tests and procedures) since October 3 and her blue eyes were opened VERY wide!  Back in her room, she was paid a visit by a golden retriever therapy dog, Tess.  (We've just got to find a way to get her dog, Arby, here for a visit.)  (I think I have some supportive nurses ready to conspire with me on that...).  Later in the day, after a rest, the physical therapist also helped Abby to sit up on the side of her bed.  She required a lot of support, but the PT was pleased to find that she was engaging some of her core muscles to help support herself.  Abby also had visits from many good friends today.
 
In the meantime, Gordon and I had a good visit with the rehabilitation doctor this evening.   She did much to convince us that Warm Springs Rehabilitation in San Antonio or else Baylor Children's House in Dallas are the two very best choices for pediatric head trauma rehabilitation in the state and helped to assuage some of our doubts about our visit to Warm Springs yesterday.  Nevertheless, we are going to visit the Baylor facility on Sunday.  We'll then have to weigh the strengths of both programs as we make a final decision.  It looks unlikely that we'll go to a rehab facility on Monday.  Instead, we might move to a regular room here at Children's Hospital early in the week and then move on to a rehab facility by the end of the week.  We'll keep you posted...
 
Thanks so much for continuing to pray and lift us up--though I'm yawning as I write this, Gordon and I both continue to have a strength that we didn't know existed.  It's not from ourselves--it's a blessing from above.  During the first few hours after Abby's accident, we of course felt all the fears you could imagine, and I couldn't imagine going on if Abby didn't recover.  And yet now we know a peace we couldn't have imagined.  We still don't have a guarantee as to the final outcome, but I know we can make it, and, most importantly, I know I can be as strong as Abby needs me to be.  Believe me, I wish I couldn't give this testimony, but it's true, and I thank you all for your prayers that have asked God to grant us this peace. 
 
And I ask you to continue to pray for all the days, weeks, and months that Abby may need to recover, because if you think Gordon and I have a testimony to give, just imagine the story that girl will be able to tell...!
 
Love you,
Lee Ann, Gordon, Abby, & Frank 


Talk is cheap. Use Yahoo! Messenger to make PC-to-Phone calls. Great rates starting at 1¢/min.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home